Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Selling Your Photos to the Press is a Money Making "Goldmine"

Armed with a passion for photography and a cheap 10 mega pixel digital camera, I found myself in one of those life-changing situations that opens one's mind to so many different opportunities that I was literally left stunned and speechless.

Whilst taking photos of local graffiti art located along my local train line, I was approached by a gentleman who politely asked if he might be able to purchase some of my photos.

It turns out that this gentleman was from an American advertising agency and some of the shots that I had taken would be perfect for a campaign that he was organizing, furthermore he was also able to put me in contact with other operators who would gladly pay to have some of my shots.

This got me to thinking... Is there a market in selling normal, everyday shots? How do you go about contacting people who are willing to pay for photos are how do I let people know that I have photos for sale? What are the legalities of selling photos to another person? Can I get the photos back after I sell them?

It seems some research was needed as a basic Google searches were unable to turn anything up. After a lot of trial and error, here are some of thee things that I have learnt:

1. Special training and expensive equipment are not necessarily required to be successful within this industry. in fact a cheap digital camera or even a mobile phone with an average digital camera will be more than adequate.

2. Subject matter is not as important as most would have you believe. Examples of photos that are selling are pictures of different countries flag, stock photos of old and rusted cars or even landscape shots are proving very popular among photo buyers.

3. The hardest part of breaking into this industry is knowing where to look for potential buyers and alternatively where to upload your photos to gain the right amount of exposure.

4. The photographs that you sell will more often than not remain yours which means that you retain ownership of the photographs and will forever retain the rights to reproduce and license the picture to others.

It is very important to note that there are a lot of SCAMS on the internet that ask for hundreds of dollars in return for a lot of broken promises and very little accountability. Most reputable stock photography websites will have direct contact details available to any body who requests it so if your website doesn't provide this service then you need to ask yourself... Why?

Source : Ezinearticles

No comments:

Post a Comment